Personalized support

to help you sort out a problem with your residential lease


Do you live in a private seniors’ residence (PSR)? Do you need help resolving a problem related to your lease or the services you receive at the residence? Are you an informal caregiver for someone living in a PSR who needs help guiding them through the situation?


You should know that CAAP (Centre d’assistance et d’accompagnement aux plaintes)¹ advisors can provide you with information, help, and support in resolving a problem regarding your residential lease.

¹ Translation : Complaint Assistance and Support Centre


What is a private seniors’ residence (PSR) ?

A private seniors’ residence (PSR) is a residential building for independent or semi-independent  seniors (65 years+). In addition to renting rooms or apartments, PSRs also offer various services (meals, care, maintenance, etc.).

In Quebec, the private seniors’ residence (PSR) designation can only be used by an operator who has obtained a certificate of conformity, which guarantees that the residence meets certain requirements regarding safety and quality of service.

The obligation to sign a lease

A lease is more than a simple formality. It’s a contract between you and the residence and signing it is mandatory. The lease defines most of your rights and obligations, as well as the services the residence will provide. A lease in a private seniors’ residence (PSR) needs to include the following three documents: the lease itself, Appendix 6, and the residence’s rules.

To learn more about PSR leases, the following documents are essential reading:

Your rights and obligations

As a tenant in a private seniors’ residence, you have rights that must be respected and obligations to meet.²

As a tenant you have the RIGHT to:

  • Live in your room or apartment
  • Be treated with respect, dignity, and courtesy
  • Freely enjoy your room or apartment and the common areas
  • Reside in a well-maintained room or apartment that is repaired as necessary
  • Live in a safe and healthy environment
  • Receive the care and services included in your lease

You also have certain OBLIGATIONS:

  • Paying your monthly rent, including for your services, as indicated in your lease
  • Keeping your apartment clean
  • Giving the building manager access to do repairs
  • Leaving your room or apartment in the same condition as when you arrived
  • Following the residence’s internal rules

² The information on this site has no legal value and is for information purposes only.


You can check whether a residence has its certificate of conformity, by consulting the Registre des résidences privées pour aînés. (in French only)


Are you experiencing a problem at your residence?

You’re not alone. CAAPs are there to help.

Most of the time, people who choose to live in a private seniors’ residence (PSR) like living there. But as in life, problems in residences do happen.

Does a proposed increase in rent seem unjustified? Are you dissatisfied by the care or a service provided by the residence? Are you being told that the cost of a service included in your lease will be increased?

Regardless of the source of dissatisfaction, it’s important to talk about it and try to come to an agreement. CAAP advisors can provide you with information and support at every step as you try to reach an acceptable agreement.

One problem, multiple solutions

If you feel your lease isn’t being respected or have a problem with the care or services provided by the residence, your first move should be to inform the residence manager.

If you aren’t comfortable informing the manager or want help and support in doing so, contact a CAAP advisor in your area for information, help, and any support you may require. CAAP advisors can also help you consider your options³ :


  • An agreement negotiated between you and the residence manager
  • Mediation between you and the residence, provided by Tribunal administratif du logement
  • A hearing before Tribunal administratif du logement, if it is impossible to reach an agreement

³ These options don’t apply to every situation; they depend on certain factors. Some restrictions apply. For more information, see “En savoir plus au sujet de ces options” (in French).


Here’s how a CAAP can help you

For more than 25 years, CAAPs (Centres d’assistance et d’accompagnement aux plaintes)⁴ have been helping people who are dissatisfied with care received in the health and social services system (hospitals, long-term care facilities, etc.) or who believe their health rights have been violated. CAAPs have been helping PSR tenants in their efforts to ensure compliance with their leases since 2019.

Their mission in this regard isn’t to provide legal representation but to support you, as a PSR tenant or a PSR tenant’s informal caregiver, throughout any process you undertake, in a way that respects your choices and your right to act.

Provide you with information…

  • On your rights and obligations as a PSR tenant
  • On the options available to you in your particular situation

Provide you with help and support…

  • As you exercise and ensure compliance with your rights
  • As you prepare to meet with the manager of your PSR to negotiate an agreement
  • As you prepare for mediation or a hearing before Tribunal administratif du logement

Talk to someone who listen to

CAAPs are a group of independent community organizations that are present in every region of the province and have a mandate from the Government of Quebec. Their services are free and confidential. CAAP advisors are professionals who listen to and care about the people who come to them for help.

CAAPs are there to provice you with INFORMATION, HELP and SUPPORT.

⁴ Translation : Complaint Assistance and Support Centre


You can check whether a residence has its certificate of conformity, by consulting the Registre des résidences privées pour aînés.